Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Woohoo! Class of 2011...Holla!

No, I'm not graduating. I'm (partially) quoting a graduating middle schooler. It goes without saying, but congrats to all you grads, family members, and friends of grads out there. May your work be well rewarded!

Now to the matter at hand--this card:



Obviously, films and film-making inspired this design (in case you thought those were soccer balls, double chocolate Oreos or tires filling in for the O's in the "woohoo" logo). How did it come about? A friend of mine just graduated with a major in film, so naturally, I paired an image from that field with the exuberance of a "woohoo" and there you go. If you look really closely, you can also see some other choice words used for the backdrop of the banner statement ("Woot!," "Shazam!," "Awesome!," etc.). These kinds of cards are fun to make because you can consider the recipient's personality and then infuse a bit of that into the design. Hence, a notorious woohoo-sayer, for example, can reallly identify with the message.

A new challenge I tackled with this design--3D lettering... of a sort. I've seen a few new commercial card designs with raised lettering and this is my attempt at something similar. How'd I do it? Some recycled cardboard married to my sketch of the title design and...BAM! 3D lettering in the house!

I created the the final touch to this card partly because I find blank envelopes eternally boring. So whenever I get the chance, I like to customize my envelopes. This simple but sweet graduation cap added a cool finishing touch. Here's a look at the finished product:

"Woohoo!" graduation card with "grad cap" envelope. Your grad's name replaces the conspicuous blur.
 So again, WOOHOO! and a final round of applause to the class of 2011!

P.S.- Do P.S.'s exist in blogs? If you like this design, you really, really, like this design, drop me a line here and I'll hook you up!

No comments:

Post a Comment